yattvagasthigatham papam dehe tishtati mamake
prashannat panchagavyasya dahatvagnirivendhanam
- Just as fire burns the fuel, let the drinking of panchagavya burn away all my sins even those which have gone into the skin and bone.
Panchagavya is a mix of milk,ghee,curd,cow's urine and cow dung. There is also a sixth ingredient - water poured through kusha grass (darbha). It is consumed as a purification rite and also at the beginning of major rituals.
The proportion is :
- Gomutra - 60 ml
- Milk - 420 ml
- Curd - 180 ml
- Ghee - 60 ml
- Kushodaka - 60 ml
- Cow dung - size of the top segment of the thumb.
There are mantras to be chanted while mixing each ingredient ( one by one) , as given below :
- Gomutra - gayatri
- Cowdung - gandhadvaram...
- Milk - apyaayasva....
- Curd - dadhikravna....
- Ghee - tejosi shukrosi....
- Kushodaka - devasya tva....